Ms. Veronica Bonilla-Lopez focuses her practice on civil litigation, representing both public and private sector clients in the defense of state and federal litigation. Ms. Bonilla-Lopez’s work includes representation of the Firm’s public sector clients before administrative and quasi-judicial bodies. Additionally, Ms. Bonilla-Lopez acts as an adjudicator for a municipality presiding over ordinance violations. Moreover, she has argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Before joining Del Galdo Law Group, LLC, Ms. Bonilla-Lopez prosecuted cases as an Assistant State’s Attorney with the Cook County State’s Attorney Office. During Ms. Bonilla-Lopez’s time at the State’s Attorney’s Office she wrote and filed appellate briefs on trial issues, conducted over seventy bench trials, presented countless preliminary hearings and indictments on various felonies, and first chaired a jury trial. Through her representation of the Firm’s public sector clients, Ms. Bonilla-Lopez continues her commitment to public service and community.
While at Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, Ms. Bonilla-Lopez was in the Appellate Advocacy Honors Program as a member of the Hispanic National Bar Association’s Moot Court Team. In addition, she was selected to partake in a London Comparative Advocacy Program, where she traveled to England to tour the court system and view a British criminal trial.
- Gomez v. City of Chicago – Secured summary judgment for City of Chicago in employment discrimination case filed under Title VII.
- Delgadillo v. Steinhagen et al – 3 week federal jury trial; Secured 100% defense verdict in employment discrimination case.
- Medina v. Berwyn South School District 100 – Represented school district in successful summary judgment for claims filed under Americans with Disabilities Act and Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Kristofek v. Village of Orland Hills, et al – Secured summary judgment for the Village on Monell claim and successfully argued case on appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- Alejandra Perez v. Perez - Successful motion for summary judgment in favor of a Town police officer in a §1983 claim for deliberate indifference to medical needs and state law claim for willful and wanton misconduct filed by the estate of decedent.
- Soriano v. Vitalo et al - Prepared seventh circuit appellate brief in conjunction with counsel for the individual defendants resulting in judgment for defendants on shooting excessive force case.
- Duran v. Town of Cicero, et al - 6 week federal jury trial; 78 plaintiffs sued the Town of Cicero and 12 of its police officers; The defense team secured verdicts of not guilty against 55 of the 78 plaintiffs and limited plaintiffs to a monetary recovery of only 10% of their trial demand.
- Edward K. Hall, Jr. v. City of Berwyn, et al – Secured dismissal of equal protection, malicious prosecution, false arrest and state claims against police officer.
- Noriega v. Town of Cicero – Represented the Town of Cicero in successful motion for summary judgment on personal injury claim by bicycle rider.
- Brian Zima v. City of Berwyn, et al – Illinois Appellate court upheld dismissal of the City from the case which was filed by a terminated probationary police officer.
- Socorro Villaseñor v. Town of Cicero, et al - Secured summary judgment for the Town in Circuit Court of Cook County on a personal injury slip and fall case caused by a condition deemed deminimis as a matter of law.
Veronica is fluent in Spanish and prides herself in giving back to her community. Her professional involvement includes the following:
- Board Member, Maywood-Melrose Park-Broadview School District 89
- J.D., Loyola University of Chicago School of Law
- Hispanic Bar Association Moot Court
- B.S., Loyola University of Chicago
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, General Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar Certified
- Seventh Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- Certified Administrative Hearing Officer